Friday, September 08, 2006

Forget Marbury - it's time for the Greeks!

Team USA loses to Greece in the basketball world championship? Huh? I thought this was the new Team USA...not the hot dog team of Allen Iverson and one-man shows that won the bronze in the Olympics. I thought this was the Coach K team that had team buy-in from Carmello, Lebron, and Dwayne. I guess not. Where did the Greeks come from and why are they so good? Are the international rules that different that the US players are seemingly at a disadvantage? To my earlier comments about free throw shooting, I think the Greeks' excellent shooting helps prove that high field goal percentages and making your free throws are hard to defend. (I wish i had the time to mathematically prove how inept the NBA is at taking advantage of the free points the game offers. And I stand by my comments that any GM that doesn't have a free throw % component to the compensation is a FOOL.)

If the Greeks are this great, why aren't they in the NBA. I think the Dolan's need to take a hard look at themselves and the $130mm they are paying to the Knick players. The Knicks have one of the highest if not the highest salary payouts in the league and the absolute worst record in the NBA. How does that make any sense? Billy Beane of the A's would be disgusted. My vote, take that $130mm and see how many Greeks that gets you. I'd rather have the Greek national team than the Knicks anyday. Heck, I'll take stadium shwarma and hummus. I'll save the franks for the Yankees games.

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Chimpanzee Rage said...

greece has NBA players, on the team that was there they had Vassilis Spanoulis who is on an NBA roster, Nicholis Tsiksvolisoss (spelling is off b/c its impossible) is a former Greek National team member and there are a few more. The greeks can ball baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home